Two little words can do so much damage!

Written on August 12, 2015 at 7:54 pm, by Ellen Wood

Do you know what hinders many elders from getting more out of life? It’s a small mental packet of energy – a little phrase with a big impact: I can’t. They think I can’t begin dating at my age or I can’t cut down on watching TV and convince themselves it’s true. Or someone says You can’t and they believe it.

Paul Scheele gives a good example of the power of I can’t. In his book Natural Brilliance, Scheele tells about the time he was studying hypnosis. His teacher said, “Once you’ve put someone into trance, suggest that they can’t do some simple act, like they can’t lift their foot because their shoe is glued to the floor. Then repeat these words several times, No matter how hard you try, you can’t.

Well, during his first stage performance Sheele was amazed to see a six-foot tall man he had put into a trance stand before him unable to pick up his foot because he really believed his shoe was glued to the floor. The phrase I can’t is a very powerful negative force.

Often what we say begins with what we believe, and some of our beliefs about aging can be very debilitating. The idea that getting older means you have to stay cooped up in the house because you might slip or trip – this is just a belief. The idea that getting older means your brain will become foggy and forgetful – this is just a belief. The idea that getting older means you become grumpy and lonely and lose the joy of living – this is just a belief. These are just beliefs. But they’re beliefs that have been reinforced by years of programming and conditioning and they’re beliefs that contribute to aging ungracefully.

These beliefs become rooted in our minds through the negative impact of incessant mind chatter.  According to the National Science Foundation, the number of thoughts we have each day ranges from 12,000 to 50,000, though many themes are repeated relentlessly. Often these repetitive thoughts are negative – full of what we don’t like about ourselves or about what we’re afraid might happen as we get older.

This negative mind chatter keeps us from enjoying life. It stops us from living up to our full potential as powerful, magnificent, joyful beings. And the dis-ease in our minds often becomes the disease in our bodies.

The mind chatter I’m referring to goes something like this: Oh, my bones are getting old; my eyes don’t see very good anymore. Guess my hearing will go next. And on top of all that, my memory is going to hell in a hand basket.

We’ve all been bombarded with ideas and images of what it looks and feels like to grow old and they contribute to our negative mind chatter. The good news is: you can change your negative mind chatter into positive self-talk and bring about the good feeling of rejuvenating your life and living happy. It all begins with watching – observing – what’s going on in your mind.  Do you have particular ways of changing negative mind chatter? Please share your ideas with our online community by commenting below.

The beauty secret that could change the world

Written on June 27, 2015 at 11:49 am, by Ellen Wood

What makes a person radiant?

What can you do in an instant to make yourself glow?

It’s so simple: Love yourself exactly the way you are. Love everything about yourself – including the parts of your personality you might wish were different. They could be hiding your greatest strengths.

Love your body exactly as it is. When you give your body love and appreciation – and let go of the critical self-talk we humans are so prone to – you

• release stress,
  • feel happier and more comfortable in your body,
  • carry an energetic vibration of appreciation and acceptance
  • and become better looking.

How you picture yourself and your appearance influences how others see you. Think about it. Part of how you perceive a person’s appearance has to do with your sense of the energy they carry and the emotions they are feeling. In his book Social Intelligence, Daniel Goleman writes about the latest findings in biology and brain science. He tells us about research that shows how connected we are, brain to brain, with those around us, and how those interactions can have actual physical consequences. We can “catch” another person’s emotions, just like a cold or love fever. And those emotional reactions have a biological influence by launching surges of hormones that can harm or improve our bodies.

You know the way you can sense something about a person you’re meeting for the first time? You may feel very good around that person and feel drawn to him or her – or you may just want to keep your distance. You’re responding to their energetic vibration.

The energetic vibration you carry affects your appearance, and your thoughts create your energetic vibration. When you love yourself exactly as you are, you vibrate with a lovable, beautiful energy and others can “catch” your love emotion. Just imagine what our world would be like if we all did that!

The latest bioscience tells us that there is an “intelligence” in each cell in our body – that communication occurs between these cells. The brain responds to positive emotions with higher levels of endorphins and we feel happier and less stressed.

Why is this so important to your health and looks? Because stress is the underlying cause of most disease and illness and is the number one aging factor. Stress raises levels of the adrenal hormone cortisol, which is useful if there’s a crocodile nipping at your toes: it gives your body that boost in energy sometimes necessary for survival. However, when it’s triggered not by a calamity that requires extra energy, but by mental anguish, the cortisol stays in your system. This stress-induced cortisol increases internal generation of free radicals, disrupts normal metabolism and leads to all kinds of undesirable physical results.

So love your body – just the way it is. Really love it! Feel the emotion of love. If it helps, close your eyes and search your memory for a time when you had a strong feeling of love. You just want to feel the emotion – then you can drop the memory.

Frequently tell yourself how wonderful you are and how grateful you are to be you while feeling a joyful, loving emotion. Stop whatever you’re doing, take a few deep breaths and really experience the love in your silent or spoken words. Do it especially when it’s important to make a good impression, even though you’re feeling butterflies in your belly. For example, right before:

• you meet with a prospective client
  • an audition
  • a date with your new lover
  • meeting your partner’s children – or parents
  • your first day on the job

The bottom line is – the stress you create with negative thoughts about your body causes aging, illness and even disease. So let go of the stress, love your body and shine with radiance – because the crazy, divine truth is, you are perfect just the way you are!

We are NOT pre-programmed to deteriorate as we age

Written on April 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm, by Ellen Wood

No doubt over 99.9% of the world’s population believes growing younger is not possible.

And if they can’t conceive of it, it won’t happen no matter how many grow younger techniques they do.  But they don’t need to take my word for it. Science is now revealing new, exciting things about our bodies and our minds – about how our bodies change and why.

Scientists and physicians used to believe – and many still do – that our genes determine what takes place in the cells of our body and that our DNA is pre-programmed to cause all those changes that make us grow old and deteriorate. Well, now scientists in cell biology are finding that human consciousness plays a very important role in what takes place in the cells of our body.

The new science of Epigenetics reveals how the choices we make can change our genes. Our lifestyle, thoughts and beliefs affect our cells – the mind/body connection is real.

I can say that with certainty because I’ve been reading the works of scientists and other experts in the field of Epigenetics who have proven that environmental factors can alter the way our genes are expressed. For one, Dr. Bruce Lipton, internationally recognized cell biologist, has proven that our mind can turn our genes on and off. We have approximately 20,000 genes in our body but they don’t all get expressed. Dr. Lipton’s research shows that genes are merely blueprints and it’s the environment outside the cell that determines genetic expression. As a carrier of the Alzheimer’s gene, APO-e4, I intend to keep that gene in the “off” position.

Yes, genes affect the color of our eyes and whether our second toe will be longer than our big toe, but when it comes to how healthy we’re going to be or how long we’re going to live, in most cases our mind and our lifestyle play a more important role than our genes do.

According to Larry Dossey, M.D., one of the world’s top physicians in mind/body medicine, numerous scientific studies show that the most accurate predictor of longevity is what a person thinks about their own health.

Dawson Church, PhD and author of numerous books on energy medicine, reports that the tools of our consciousness, – including beliefs, prayers, thoughts, intentions and faith – correlate more strongly in research studies with our health, longevity, and happiness than our genes do.

This new information is a breakthrough in the understanding of our biology that’s fundamental to all healing and to growing younger. It means: when we change our perceptions and beliefs we send totally different messages to our cells and we reprogram them.

In addition to the effects of consciousness on our body’s cells, there are amazing advances taking place every day in molecular biology, and organ and tissue regeneration. To find out more about what’s happening in the Life Extension Sciences, visit www.maxlife.org and sign up for their free newsletter. Reading about the scientific studies that herald an end to aging will help you truly believe that it is possible to stay young. As Henry Ford once said, “If you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right.”

Joy and Blessings,
Ellen

Dare to Dream of a Younger You

Written on March 24, 2015 at 11:58 am, by Ellen Wood

What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?

That’s a pretty hefty question and one I happened to read on a paperweight some time ago. You never know how guidance will appear

Here’s what I dared to dream: that I could rejuvenate my life and grow younger. Sound like a pipe dream? Actually, it’s not. I know because I’ve done it! Once I was clear about what I wanted and set my intention, all kinds of ideas and inspiration started coming to me.

But let me back up. My dream of growing younger wasn’t just a thought I had one day when looking into the mirror. No. It wasn’t vanity that started me on this path.

It happened one fateful day in 2004 at age 67, ten years after my mother died of Alzheimer’s and several years after I started following in her footsteps, unable to remember recent events and having my tongue trip on words – if I could even find the words. I had noticed other changes, too. My body’s energy level was also succumbing to what I believed was an inevitable outcome of old age.

It was part of my belief system that growing older included progressive deterioration of body and mind that could never be reversed. That’s because I had never seen anyone grow younger; I had never heard of anyone growing younger. So it didn’t occur to me to use mind/spirit techniques to reverse aging until that day eleven years ago. That’s when I became aware of what I was doing to myself. I began to realize my thoughts and beliefs about growing old were creating a debilitating life for me.

That day I woke up to the fact that I could change the process of aging by adapting and applying those mind/spirit techniques I had practiced successfully for decades in other areas of my life to magnetize what I wanted, like happier relationships, less stress and more income.When I decided – and set my intention – to grow younger, I attuned my energetic vibration to my desire. Then techniques for increasing my body’s strength and energy also came to my attention and I began practicing them too. Soon a whole anti-aging program evolved.

It worked! I have more energy, more vitality, more stamina, more flexibility than I had even thirty years ago. My body is much stronger and my mind is much clearer and sharper than before I began my program in 2004. And my fingers don’t hurt anymore!

Even though five years ago I tested positive for the Alzheimer’s gene APO-e4, I now have the tools to keep that gene in the “off” position. Best of all, I discovered that my daily practices have another benefit: I am happy! As a result, it’s my passion to share the techniques that produced such profound changes in me.

Joy and Blessings,
Ellen

A wilting sex life doesn’t have to be your reality

Written on February 22, 2015 at 10:00 am, by Ellen Wood

Somehow our society has accepted the idea that when we get into middle age and beyond, sex becomes less exciting, less pleasurable, less possible. And if that’s what people keep affirming, that’s what they get.

A wilting sex life doesn’t have to be your reality and there are scientific studies that prove this. We can still enjoy passionate sex into our 80s and beyond. Lovemaking actually stirs up the life force within and can help us to grow younger.

Catching ourselves whenever old programming surfaces is an important part of growing younger. Here’s one “affirmation” that’s not expressed openly, but can be subtly damaging our libido, Sex is a problem; I must be getting old.

An unintentional affirmation works just as well as intentional ones do. I keep forgetting where I put my glasses is one of those. You might couch it in stronger terms than I just did but remember, you are affirming something you don’t want to do. The intensity of your feeling, in this case frustration, and how often you say it, will determine the magnitude of your manifestation. Your memory will most likely become worse if you keep repeating that it’s always forgetting things.

Intentional affirmations will not work to their full potential unless you become aware of your mind chatter which could be contradicting what you really want. Let me put it this way: your moment to moment thoughts are all affirmations, and affirmations can be negative too. If they are self-defeating thoughts, you’re accumulating quite a bit of negative momentum.

So catch yourself whenever you’re saying something negative about yourself or worrying about what might happen as you get older. You can use those moments when you catch yourself to turn the thought into a positive affirmation. Let’s say you catch yourself thinking: I’ll never be able to finish a Sudoku puzzle. Red flag goes up. Now is your opportunity to create a positive affirmation: I’m getting better at Sudoku all the time! This negates the defeating thought and eventually you’ll have evidence that you can finish a Sudoku.

Here’s an example of a mindless affirmation I heard in the ladies room at the hotel in Albuquerque right before I gave a keynote address for the New Mexico Department of Aging. A woman was standing at the mirror next to me fixing her hair and as she was leaving, she tossed over her shoulder: I don’t know why I’m fussing. No man’s going to look at me at my age. If that’s what she’s saying out loud, you can bet her internal dialogue is not any nicer than that. But she was wrong! She was a beautiful woman. Even if she was only kidding, often saying is believing and the negative ‘affirmation’ gets stuck in our subconscious mind – and that’s exactly what we want to do with positive affirmations.

Here’s another one. I don’t look as good as I used to. Once we make a negative judgment about a change in our looks, it can be the tiny fracture that eventually destroys our self-confidence.

Replacing what you might unthinkingly say with positive affirmations will change your life! Researchers have long recognized the power of positive thinking and positive affirmations to impact our health, wellbeing and motivation. And now, our youthfulness!

Love and Blessings,
Ellen

P.S. On Friday I’m taking a nice check to St. James Food Pantry, thanks to all of you who commented on my video montage (and gave me some good ideas for possible gigs). Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A favor please?

Written on January 23, 2015 at 11:55 am, by Ellen Wood

I’m excited! My speaker video montage is finished (it’s just below the banner
on www.EllenWoodSpeaks.com) and I’m setting up my 2015 speaking schedule.

Do you know of any organization like a women’s group or college or
veterans group or corporation that might want their folks to have
some good belly laughs while learning techniques to transform their lives?

The overall theme for my talks is reducing stress and living happy. I
share five powerful practices for making that happen for adults of all ages.

If you send me the name of an organization, I’ll find out if they have any
upcoming events. Or forward this email to an event planner you might know.

Please watch my video montage or just take a quick peek and comment
to me and I’ll donate $5 in your name to St. James Food Pantry, a
non-profit that feeds the hungry in my town, and where I volunteer.

Thank you for your assistance – and enormous blessings to you.

Gratitude jar reminds you how sweet life is

Written on January 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm, by Ellen Wood

gratitude jar

1. Soak the label off a good-sized jar.

2. On a fresh label give yourself an adjective or 2 or 3 for 2015. Put the label on the jar.

3, Cut up lots of small pieces of paper and remember where you put them.

4. Each time something good happens, write it on a piece of paper, fold and put it in the jar. Even tiny things count.

5. On December 31 read them all.

Have fun! My first one says, “Wow! I got so many responses to my New Year’s email. So many blessings coming my way.” The second one is secret. : )

What is your most glorious desire for 2015?

Written on January 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm, by Ellen Wood

Take a moment and write. Not just one desire but as many desires as flow out of you and want to be recognized.

Do you want to be healthy, strong, loving and magnificent? Then write it as if it has already manifested because it IS presently alive in the realm of possibility. Write about your health and wellbeing starting with: I AM

Do you want to feel the joy and exuberance (of being connected to Spirit? of having loving family and/or friend relationships?) Then write: I FEEL

Do you want to just bask in the Great Mystery – the realm of Unknowing – and be free of all worries, concerns and negative mind chatter? (In writing your desire don’t use words like worries, concerns, negative mind chatter because that’s what your subconscious will hear and help you bring about. Always write in the positive; for example, “I LIVE with ease in Unpredictability.” Or “I RELAX and allow Uncertainty to live in me.” Or “I KNOW that my life is in God’s hands.”) Or write: I TRUST

Do you want financial prosperity? Not just enough to get by. The Universe is unlimited. You don’t have to know HOW it will come to you and you don’t have to give a specific number – you can use words like “enormous” or “more than I can possibly use so I can make someone else’s life joyful too.” Just write: I am OPEN TO RECEIVING

Are there creative juices inside you that want to be stirred up and manifested into something splendid? If you don’t know what it is yet, then be general. Start writing: I CREATE

Every day (well, okay, if may not be practical to do it EVERY day) look at your answers and read them out loud or silently.

One more thing

Do you have habits you want to rekindle that have fallen by the wayside? Like meditating? Exercising? Dry brushing your skin? Watching your thoughts? Doing something good for someone? Write it on an index card and put it in a cardholder (I call it a “pinchy thing”) or tuck it into your mirror, but be sure to change its position at least once a week or your brain will no longer see it.

2015 is a New Year and you’re a fresh new you today. Feel it. Express it

I send you more love than you can imagine.

Ellen

JOY to the World!

Written on December 18, 2014 at 3:56 pm, by Ellen Wood

Dear Friend,

May Joy sparkle through you to all of humanity.

Merry Christmas!

I love you.

Ellen
Joy Junkie

“Oooooh. Aaaah. That feels soooooooo good.”

Written on November 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm, by Ellen Wood

Ever have someone wash your hair and massage your scalp? It feels so good, you’re probably glad your head is leaning back over the sink so you won’t drool on your chin. It’s a time for allowing your consciousness to go to your scalp and just feel the pleasure. This is not a left-brain thinking/talking experience; it’s one of those right-brain feeling experiences.

Scalp massage has been used by many cultures throughout history to stimulate hair growth. I can’t vouch that it will grow new hair, but it does increase blood circulation to the brain. Of course, the top of your head is one of the most difficult places to get blood flowing since we usually just keep our head upright all day. Scalp massage will get blood circulating up there and may even stimulate new hair growth, as some folks clai

The method I use for stimulating my scalp involves pulling my hair, usually before my shower and after dry brushing my skin. It takes just 15 to 20 seconds total, so get your doctor’s permission first and then try this: Bend at the waist and let your head fall forward. Keep your legs straight, feet hip-width apart. With each hand take a small bunch of your hair at the roots and gently pull 3 to 5 times rapidly. Then move to the next clusters of hair and continue that process until you’ve covered your whole head.

Here’s another way to massage your scalp: use the balls of your fingertips of both hands and rub in gentle, circular motions over a small area of your scalp while you count to five. Then, with your fingertips in the same place, rub in circular motions, allowing only your scalp to move while you count to five. Then move on to the next place on your scalp and continue until you’ve massaged the whole thing.

Body massage is another nourishing form of skin stimulation. An ancient form of healing, massage helps rejuvenate your body by activating its natural restorative powers. It also feels incredibly good.

There are many variations of massage; some, such as deep tissue massage, require advanced training and a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology. Choosing a licensed massage therapist will assure that level of expertise, but education and certification are not enough. You’ll gain the most from someone whose energy resonates with yours. How can you determine that? Talk with that person and listen to your body. You know how it feels to be standing close to someone you’re fond of – your body and emotions send signals to your brain that say I really like this person. You feel comfortable. You also know how it feels to stand close (your body won’t let you stand too close) to someone you’re not comfortable with. Use those feelings to see how you resonate with the massage therapist.

When you find someone you have a good feeling about, try a massage and see if they give you their total attention and are quiet during your session. If not, keep looking.

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL:   Treat someone to a book or CD and get 20% off by putting JOY in the coupon code. Go to the SHOP page on this website.